Lauren 4. The Final Creations


While the group hasn’t managed to create any tangible products due to the difficulties of dealing with a digital medium and the over-excited cease of creativity that comes with a project that has almost no parameters but the imagination, we still managed to create a few things.

“The opportunities presented by the creativity and research nexus are potentially transformative as they provide us with the ability to look at the world in new ways, to look through different prisms and lenses and through other people's eyes so as to develop new aesthetics.” (Josie Arnold, 2012). Overall it doesn’t matter that our final assessment piece will only be a proposal for what we plan to do. It saddens me we couldn’t put more time into something physical and lasting, but the difficulties behind communicating within a large group of people with time constraints puts pressure on the mind. Ironically that is what we came to learn from the interviews and details of The 24-Hour Book; something will be created, but definitely not the anticipated form. 

The Remixed Blog, however, is something of triumph. Acting as the editor to a continuously running website is something I wanted to challenge myself with during the project. I can now appreciate having a creative team to give me content as my own personal blog lays dormant with neglect. I’ve honed my editing skills and battled with the desire to let others do the work, but I’m happy to realise I’ve now come out of the other side of the project with new experience.

The most important thing to come out of the project overall, more than the work we’ve done to connect and remix the content and them of the Willow Patterns book, is the community formed with all the people involved. “Open groups generate more ideas and more different kinds ideas” (von Held, 2012) and it’s because of the community established on Twitter, with the writers of Willow Patterns, project head Sam Burch, Queensland Writers Centre and Simon Groth, all together with the members of the group and myself that the ideas and creations generated within this community have come to fruition.  I’ve learnt that creativity’s greatest strength is the community that supports it and not just the person who thought of the idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment