Collabor-bake Remixed


Here we are at attempt number two to bake a cake in 24 minutes. I got linked to a recipe by our very own Kylie Thompson for a cute little cake in a mug (cup-cake, get it?). 
 
Glancing over this recipe made me feel confident that this time I just might ‘do the impossible’ and bake the entire cake, from putting in the ingredients to baking time, in less than 24 minutes. Like my first attempt, I allowed myself to set up all the ingredients like the writers would have set up their writing implements. Once they was all out it was ready, set, go!

First things first I was instructed to crack one egg into a mug. I picked my favourite mug for good luck, and cracked away. When it came to the flour I was only two minutes in and decided this time I would allow the time for sifting to prevent the clumpy mess of my first rushed attempt. Since the mug was so small, however, half of the flour went all over the bench and I realised I should have sifted into a bowl first. Never mind, I don’t mind a bit of mess I just estimated how much more flour would be needed and sifted away into the mug (and onto the bench).

 I couldn’t believe my eyes when at 4 minutes 23 when all of the ingredients were in and mixed. With only 1 ½ - 2 minutes microwave cooking time, I had pretty much already given myself the trophy and started practising my victory speech.  After less than a minute in the microwave the mixture started rising above the tip of the mug. I opened the microwave and made the decision to keep going, risking the avalanche that could occur. I was pleasantly surprised however, that after two minutes the mixture was still all in the mug and after prodding it with a fork I discovered that it had hardened nicely into a successful cake. So with the clock reading 7:15 I had not only done the impossible, but shaved 16 minutes and 45 seconds off of it. 




Just for fun I turned the timer back on and downed the cake by 12 minutes and 20 seconds. I didn’t add the suggested dollop of ice cream on the top before consuming the cake though, because cake is healthy without ice cream… right?

My only problem was that in 7 minutes and 15 seconds I think I might have actually over cooked the cake, as it was a bit stiff. All in all I was proud of my efforts, and very thankful to Kylie for the recipe and thus the assistance in accomplishing my quest. Now the question is, what challenge should I try next?
 

1 comment: